- Government Services
- Divisions H - Z
- Family Accessory Cottage
Family Accessory Cottage
Accessory family cottages shall be allowed in agricultural and residential zoning categories, subject to the following standards:
1. No more than one (1) principal structure and one (1) accessory family cottage dwelling unit shall be permitted on any lot or parcel that is one-half (1/2) acre or more in size. One principal structure and one (1) accessory family cottage shall be permitted on two (2)or more aggregated lots if, prior to the date that a building permit is issued, the owner shall execute and Sumter County shall record in the public records of Sumter County, at the owner’s expense, a legal document prohibiting the subdivision of the aggregated lots.
2. Accessory family cottages may be attached to the principal structure or may be freestanding.
3. The living area of an accessory family cottage shall be at least four hundred (400) square feet in size, and may be a maximum of forty (40) percent of the gross floor area of the principal residential structure not to exceed twelve hundred (1,200) square feet.
4. Both the principal structure and the accessory family cottage must be conventionally constructed (site built) structures.
5. Neither the principal structure not the accessory family cottage may be a townhouse.
6. The accessory family cottage must be designed and located to be compatible with the appearance of the principal structure as a one-family dwelling unit.
7. The construction of an accessory family cottage must not create parking or drainage problems, and must conform to all setback provisions of the code.
8. The principal dwelling unit and the accessory family cottage shall share the same access point and drive.
9. The use of an accessory family cottage is restricted to members of the family residing in the principal structure.
10. The accessory family cottages shall not be sold, transferred, or conveyed as a residential unit separate and apart from the principal dwelling unit.
7375 Powell Road
Wildwood, FL 34785
Monday - Friday
7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
319 East Anderson Ave.
Bushnell, FL 33513
Monday - Friday
7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.