Emergency Home Repair Assistance
Application cycle - Opened until all funds are expended
Funds will be made available to homeowners for emergency repairs to their owner-occupied site-built house. Repairs include but are not limited to:
- Septic system repair or replacement
- Roof replacement
- Well repair or replacement including necessary wiring and/or plumbing
- HVAC system repair or replacement including installation of a new heating unit if the homeowner does not have an existing system
- All costs associated with connecting eligible residences to a municipality public water and sewer main
- The installation of ramps and handicap accessible bathrooms, which require immediate attention, and will make the residence more accessible to persons who have special needs
The maximum award for assistance is $15,000. Assistance shall be in the form of a zero percent interest loan secured by a recorded mortgage and promissory note with monthly payments required unless the cost is $1,500 or less, then it will be in the form of a forgivable loan. Assistance is provided on a first-qualified, first-served basis.
EligibilityApplicants must submit a completed application for determination of eligibility. Assistance will only be provided for homes that are owner-occupied and used as a primary residence. Proof of Homestead Exemption is required, and all property taxes must be current. The house must be in good condition other than the emergency repair needs. The county will only take first and second mortgage position, so if there are cases where more than one mortgage exists, at the time of application, the applicant will be denied assistance. If there is a superior mortgage in the first position, the account must be current. A loan will be awarded for the money required to complete the project and allow the homeowner to qualify; therefore, the maximum will not be awarded in all cases.
Recipients of emergency repair funds will be eligible for this strategy one time only. Mobile, modular, and manufactured homes do not qualify for assistance.
Applications can be picked up at the Sumter County Housing Services office:
319 E. Anderson Ave.
Bushnell, FL. 33513
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 1-352-689-4400 and ask for Housing Services.